Designed to celebrate the launch of the COS and The Gentlewoman tours and made from padded Japanese nylon, this limited edition tote bag is the ideal travel companion.
COS and The Gentlewoman take you on an architectural exploration of London. Journey through 100 years of the city’s modernist dream with this illustrated route of choice high points as your companion.
Illustrations by Nigel Peake
Boundary Estate (completed 1900)
by London County Council Architects
Boundary Street, London E2
Boundary Estate, one of the world's oldest municipal housing projects, is notable for its elegant red brickwork and centrepiece — an octagonal wooden bandstand with Japanese-style tiled roof. It is located at the heart of Arnold Circus in Shoreditch, east London.
Bevin Court (completed 1954)
by Berthold Lubetkin, Francis Skinner and Douglas Carr Bailey
Cruikshank Street, London WC1
Originally called Lenin Court in honour of the Russian Communist leader who lived on the same site in 1902–03, Bevin Court was designed by his countryman Berthold Lubetkin. The block is celebrated for its striking triaxial plan and central, Constructivist-style staircase.
Royal College of Physicians (completed 1964)
by Denys Lasdun
11 St Andrews Place, London NW1
One of the few postwar buildings to boast a Grade I listing, this glorious angular block of poured concrete encased in white tiles was de-signed by the British master of Brutalist architecture, Denys Lasdun. Inside, its “floating” central marble staircase leads to an oak-panelled library and light-filled exhibition spaces.
Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate (completed 1978)
by Neave Brown
Rowley Way, London NW8
The 520 ziggurat-shaped flats of Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate, also known as the Alexandra Road Estate, make up the longest terrace of housing in London. The northern block of Brown's ingenious design also acts as a barrier against noise from the nearby train lines.
Isokon Building (completed 1934)
by Wells Coates
Lawn Road, London NW3
Conceived as an experiment in minimalist living by designer Jack Pritchard and his psychiatrist wife, Molly, the 34-flat complex was famed for Isobar, originally a communal space for residents to pre-pare meals that quickly became a hangout for members of the 1940s north London intelligentsia, including Agatha Christie, Henry Moore and Walter Gropius.
Travel with COS and The Gentlewoman through Los Angeles' architectural highlights and experience a century of imaginative modern living with this illustrated route as your guide.
Illustrations by Nigel Peake
Bradbury Building (completed 1893)
by Sumner Hunt and George Wyman
304 South Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Gold-mining magnate Lewis L Bradbury commissioned this five-storey building, the oldest commercial property in central Los Angeles. Its unprepossessing redbrick exterior belies a wondrous interior lauded for its immense skylight atrium, wrought-iron cage lifts, geometric patterned Italian marble staircase and interior ironwork.
Walt Disney Concert Hall (completed 2003)
by Frank Gehry
111 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Sixteen years in the making, the Walt Disney Concert Hall is home to Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. By day, its abstract stainless steel-clad exterior glistens in the Californian sunshine; at night, it takes on the iridescence of the city's neon lights. The building is commended for its stupendous acoustics, courtesy of Minoru Nagata.
Eames House (completed 1949)
by Charles and Ray Eames
203 North Chautauqua Boulevard, Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
This private residence comprises two 5.18 metre-tall glass-and-steel rectangular boxes: one to serve as the Eameses home, the other as their studio. Also known as Case Study House No 8, the building features De Stijl-like grids on its outer cladding, with glass, cemesto, stucco and aluminium panels.
Gehry Residence (completed 1991)
by Frank Gehry
1002 22nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90403
An extraordinary mix of jutting angles and plywood, corrugated metal, glass and chain-link fencing, the Gehry Residence is considered one of the earliest examples of deconstructivist architecture. It is an extension of an existing Dutch colonial bungalow which Gehry and his wife, Berta, bought in 1977.
Sheats-Goldstein Residence (completed 1963)
by John Lautner
Angelo View Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90210
This cave-like dwelling with immense glass walls opening on to nature was built for artist Helen Sheats and her husband, Paul. Extensively detailed, its coffered, poured-concrete ceiling has 750 drinking glass shaped skylights. The building was bought by businessman James Goldstein in 1972, who re-commissioned Lautner to embark upon a remodelling project that lasted until the architect's death in 1994.